Saturday, October 10, 2009

Shenendoah National Park


We are in the area for a long weekend, thanks to our Timeshare people. They were offering lodging and mad money for us to come up and have breakfast one morning and listen to one of their spiels. Sounded like a deal to us. We came up Friday afternoon and stopped by the park on the way (it's only about 15 minutes away) and I bought my own Senior Access card! I've partaken of the best government deal there is!

I took my card this morning and used it to admit us to the Park for the day! Loved it! It was drizzly, cool and windy but still we had a fun time. We headed north from the Rt. 33 entrance and just stopped and took pictures of the changing weather and took a few short hikes and saw some wonderful fungi (?), wonderful lichen and mosses, distant meadows with charming cabins, and beautiful seedheads.
We returned to Massanutten mid afternoon and John worked on pictures and I read. I'm starting the Mitford series again. We're heading off to our favorite Vietnamese Restaurant in Harrisonburg and then tomorrow back to the park on what looks like a sunny day! That is, of course, after "the breakfast". :-)